DO YOU NEED TO CONTROL THE
HUMIDITY IN YOUR HOME?
DO YOU NEED TO CONTROL THE
HUMIDITY IN YOUR HOME?
The Best Dehumidifier Reviews for 2019
Humidity can be a major problem that can cause damage and illness. As such, controlling humidity by using the best dehumidifier for your home can be a great option.
With so many different makes and models on the market, it is difficult to know which dehumidifier to choose. By doing some research and examining the:
- detailed specifications,
- pros, and cons of each dehumidifier, and
- dehumidifier reviews and feedback...
you will be able to find the option that suits your specific circumstances, as well as your budget.
We know that finding all this information can be a time-consuming task. To make this job easier for you, we have outlined some of the best dehumidifiers that are on the market. This should make narrowing down the choice easier, allowing you to make a decision on which is best for your specific circumstances.
So if you are looking for a new dehumidifier, please have a quick look at the table below as a starting point.
Ultimate Dehumidifier Comparison Guide
In our table below, we outline:
- Dehumidifier categories
- Images, as well as make and model
- Most important features
- Prices - these are averages of price ranges that you will see on Amazon. The prices cover the following ranges -
- $ = under $100
- $$ = $100-$200
- $$$ = $200-$500
- $$$$ = more than $500
- Customer ratings - these are averages of customer ratings that you will see on Amazon. This can be very helpful in making your decision.
|Category||Product||Features||Rating||Price and More Info|
Best Large Dehumidifier
|Frigidaire FFAD7033R1 70-Pint Dehumidifier|
4.3 out of 5 stars
Approx. 4,000 customer reviews
Best Medium Dehumidifier
|Frigidaire 50-Pint Dehumidifier|
4.3 out of 5 stars
Best Small Dehumidifier
|Ivation 30 Pint Dehumidifier|
4.3 out of 5 stars
Best Mini Dehumidifier
|Eva-Dry Edv-1100 Electric Petite Dehumidifier|
4.0 out of 5 stars
Over 2,500 customer reviews
More Information On Our Picks Of The Best Dehumidifiers
We know that choosing a dehumidifier can be a little tricky. There are a lot of different makes, models, sizes, and features which make the decision on which dehumidifier is best difficult.
We have selected the ones we consider the best in the above table, but for some more information on why we think these may be a good option for you, have a look at them in more detail below…
Frigidaire 70- Pint Dehumidifier
The Frigidaire FFAD7033R1 70-pint dehumidifier is our pick as one of the very best dehumidifiers on the market. It is well priced and has some great features that make it a great all-round dehumidifier.
Some of the best features include that it has a great looking design, is easy to operate, capable of continuous operation, and is quiet.
It has also received lots of great reviews from others who have bought this unit.
All this means that if you are looking for a larger or whole house dehumidifier, you will want to check out the Frigidaire FFAD7033R1.
Frigidaire 50- Pint Dehumidifier
The Frigidaire 50-pint dehumidifier is a smaller version of the 70-pint mentioned above. It has the same great features as its bigger brother, hence why it makes it onto our list as our best medium-sized dehumidifier.
Besides being well priced (and slightly cheaper than the 70-pint model), it is energy star certified. It comes with caster wheels as well as top and side handles to make moving easy. It is also designed to operate down to temperatures as low as 41°F / 5°C.
If you are after something a little smaller than the 70-pint model, make sure you have a look at the this Frigidaire 50-pint dehumidifier.
Ivation 30-Pint Dehumidifier
One step down from the 50-pint model above is this 30-pint dehumidifier by Ivation. This is a great option as a small dehumidifier designed to extract up to 30 pints of moisture from the air each day.
It comes designed to be portable and is smaller in physical size than the medium and large capacity models mentioned above.
It has the option of continuous draining or easy bucket water removal. When the bucket is almost full, it alerts you that the unit needs emptying, and has an automatic shut off to prevent damage or overflow.
As with all the best dehumidifiers, you can precisely adjust the humidity level to produce a more comfortable and healthy living environment.
Eva-Dry Edv-1100 Petite Dehumidifier
Our favorite mini dehumidifier is the Eva-Dry Edv-1100. This is a great little unit that works well for smaller areas up to 1,100 cubic feet where moisture may be a problem, such as bathrooms, boats and RV’s.
It does not have a compressor, so is whisper quiet to operate. It also has an automatic shut-off feature when the reservoir tank is full.
If you have a smaller space that you need to be covered at a great price, then check out this unit.
Information On How To Choose The Right Dehumidifier...
Before you decide on whether you need a quiet dehumidifier for your home, you may want a bit more information on:
- What they do,
- How they work, and
- What features to look out for.
But if you are keen to jump in and look at some dehumidifier reviews, then a great place to start is to click here.
What Does A Dehumidifier Do?
The air you breathe in your home contains a certain amount of moisture. A measure of the amount of moisture in the air is the humidity level.
If you are unsure of the humidity levels in your home, a good option is to use an indoor hygrometer. There are some great options available that are very well priced.
How Does A Dehumidifier Work?
Depending on the type and quality of the dehumidifier, the specific ways that they can work can vary. However, one of the easiest ways to describe how a dehumidifier works is as follows...
- The dehumidifier unit pulls warm moist air in by using a fan. As the air crosses a cooling element or some other similar cold surface it drops in temperature. As the air drops to a much cooler temperature, the moisture contained in it condenses. This condensation appears as water droplets on the cooling element or cold surface.
- As water is heavier than air, gravity forces the droplets to fall into a collection pan or bucket at the bottom of the dehumidifier. The cool air is then reheated to a temperature about two degrees warmer than when it first entered the unit. There will also be a defrost system in place to prevent any ice build up from the cooling system.
- As the water droplets fill the collection container, many dehumidifiers will have an indicator to show the water level. Others feature an automatic shut-off of the entire system once the water container is full.
- Some dehumidifiers come with a drain hose so that if you have a drain nearby, it can drain continuously.
- Since the water collected is not drinkable, you will have to dispose of it. This is because the mesh filters that the water passes through will capture some of the particles trapped in the moisture, but not all. If the filters are not clean, they can also harbor bacteria.
- You should dispose of the water from the collection container and clean the filters on a regular basis. Most filters are washable, which you can replace before turning the dehumidifier on.
- The dehumidifier can shut off before the water container reaches capacity. If this happens, it may be because the air has reached the desired humidity level. You can specify this humidity level on most good dehumidifiers.
Have a quick look at the video below to see how dehumidifiers work.
What Features To Look For In The Best Dehumidifiers
Below, we have compiled a list of the most desired features consumers want in a dehumidifier. Some of the features you may want to consider when buying a dehumidifier include:
- How quiet the dehumidifier is
- If you need a dehumidifier for a specific purpose
- The operating humidity range
- Fan speeds
- Automatic features
- Water level indicator
- Effectiveness in cold temperatures
- Energy efficiency, and
We will discuss some of these features below...
Besides being the right price, the top request is size. However, other important considerations include:
- a dehumidifier that is portable enough to move from room to room,
- one with a large collection container that requires emptying less often,
- one that is quiet to run, and
- one that cycles less often than smaller (and generally less powerful) units,
will be the best choice.
More Information On Features...
A common feature that many people prefer is a quiet dehumidifier. Generally, as the dehumidifier size increases, they get noisier. Many mini dehumidifiers do not have any moving parts, and as such are silent. These are generally desiccant dehumidifiers. These use a special humidity-absorbing material or silica gel to extract moisture from the air. The amount of moisture they can extract out of the air will be less, so it's often a compromise between size and noise.
Other dehumidifiers are for specific usages, such as those designed as gun safe dehumidifiers. The GoldenRod Dehumidifier is a typical example... this heats up the local environment to remove humidity. Once again because it has no moving parts (no compressor or fans), it is a quiet dehumidifier.
Another great feature to look out for in dehumidifier reviews is one that has a wide humidity range. This means that you can pre-set the preferred humidity in your home or specific rooms in your living area. The best dehumidifiers should provide settings between 30 and 85 percent. To avoid build-up of mold or mildew, a relative humidity between 50 and 60 percent works best.
Fan speeds should also be a consideration. With most small dehumidifier models there are only two fan settings, while larger units often have three. The points to keep in mind about fan speed include:
- the higher the speed, the noisier it gets
- the slower the speed, the longer it takes for the dehumidifier to do its job of removing moisture from the air.
Another important need as noted in dehumidifier reviews is automatic features. This includes:
- an automatic shut-off (when the collection container is full),
- an automatic defroster (to prevent the cooling coils or surface from freezing up), and
- automatic restart (to kick it back in gear in case of a power failure).
Gauges, indicator lights, alerts and extra bells and whistles don’t hurt either, so keep an eye out for these when looking at dehumidifier reviews. A nice inclusion is an indicator level for the water collection container with easy-to-read display (usually in an LCD screen).
Other important requirements to look for in dehumidifier reviews include:
- cold temperature operation (think: crawlspace, unfinished basement),
- high efficiency (Energy Star rated means the top of the heap in energy efficiency and cost-effectiveness), and
- warranty protection (read the small print as some only cover certain parts of the unit over different periods of time).
Make sure that you check out our dehumidifier reviews that outline many of the features that are important to know before buying.
What Size Dehumidifier Do You Need?
There are many different size dehumidifiers on the market. The size refers only to the greatest amount of moisture it will remove over the course of a typical day of operation.
To be able to choose the correct unit for the job you will need to know the square footage of the area you intend to use the dehumidifier in. This is an easy piece of math that only requires a tape measure.
To determine the square footage of a room, for example, measure the width of the room and multiply that by the length of the same room. In other words, a room measuring 10 feet wide by 10 feet long is a total of 100 square feet in size.
As a general rule of thumb:
- For single rooms, a mini or petite dehumidifier should suffice
- For spaces measuring up to 1,500 square feet, a 30-pint dehumidifier should work fine in this setting
- For areas up to 2,000 square feet, you will want to move up to a 40 or 50-pint dehumidifier
- For areas larger than 2,000 square feet you will need a 60 or 70-pint dehumidifier.
Some dehumidifier guidelines may differ to these, as there are variables that may alter these numbers. However, these numbers will give you a good idea when looking for the best dehumidifier for your home.
One Last Suggestion On Dehumidifier Reviews
Once you've determined the size of space you intend to use a dehumidifier in, and the size of unit you need, the next step is to do some homework. This will mean looking at various models and styles to see what features you need, as well as what ones you can live without.
A great way to do this, and to gain some valuable insight, is by visiting online dehumidifier review sites such as this one. As well as this, good online shopping sites have customer reviews with information about their experience with the product. Sites like Amazon are ideal for this.
You may find yourself pouring over many review sites. The benefit of this is that when you finally select the best quiet dehumidifier for your living space, you will:
- have the most up-to-date knowledge on the products available,
- have a good idea of what to expect from one before you buy,
- have the best chance of purchasing the right dehumidifier for the job, and
- get the best value for money.
For honest and non-solicited advice, feedback and tips, make sure that you check out our dehumidifier reviews before buying.