What Are The Best Dehumidifier For Gun Safe Options?
- 1 Do You Need a Dehumidifier For Your Gun Safe?
- 2 Our Picks Of The Best Dehumidifier for Gun Safe Use
- 3 The Different Types of Gun Safe Dehumidifiers
- 4 Our Top Picks for the Best Gun Safe Dehumidifiers
- 5 Do You Need To Use a Gun-Safe Dehumidifier?
- 6 Gun Safe Dehumidifier Frequently Asked Questions
- 6.1 How Do You Choose the Right Dehumidifier for Your Gun Safe?
- 6.2 Where Do You Put A Dehumidifier In A Gun Safe?
- 6.3 Where Is The Best Place To Install A Gun Safe?
- 6.4 Is It Ok To Keep A Gun Safe In The Garage?
- 6.5 How Do You Install a Gun Safe Dehumidifier?
- 6.6 What Humidity Is Bad For Guns?
- 6.7 When Should You Use a Gun-Safe Dehumidifier?
- 6.8 How Do You Maintain a Gun Safe Dehumidifier?
- 6.9 Other Tips for Keeping Your Guns Safe and Dry
- 6.10 What are the most important things to consider before buying a dehumidifier for a gun safe?
- 6.11 What are other gun-safe accessories that are important?
- 6.12 Is A Gun Safe Dehumidifier A Good Investment?
- 6.13 How do I choose the right size dehumidifier for my gun safe?
- 6.14 Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a dehumidifier in a gun safe?
- 6.15 How do I know if my gun safe is in need of a dehumidifier?
- 7 Conclusion: Final Thoughts on Dehumidifiers for Gun Safe Use
As a gun owner, it’s crucial to protect your firearms from potential damage, and one aspect that is often overlooked is the humidity level inside the gun safe. The humidity levels inside your gun safe can cause serious problems, including rust, corrosion, and mold growth. Even though many gun owners don’t realize this, investing in a dehumidifier for gun-safe protection is a crucial aspect of responsible gun ownership.
A dehumidifier for gun-safe protection is an effective solution to prevent these issues and maintain the quality and performance of your firearms. By regulating the humidity inside the gun safe, a dehumidifier can eliminate the risk of damage caused by moisture and provide a safe environment for your firearms. It’s a small but significant step that can save you from potential losses and keep your firearms in optimal condition.
Do You Need a Dehumidifier For Your Gun Safe?
A dehumidifier for your gun safe is a great investment. We know that there are many reasons why using a gun safe is a good idea, including:
- A safe can protect your weapons from theft
- It can even provide protection against fire
- It will protect your firearms from damage that can result from too much moisture in the air.
However, some people don’t realize the importance of gun-safe humidity control.
When gun-safe moisture control is not regulated, the moisture content can increase. This leads to corrosion forming on metal. Corrosion of guns leads to rust and many other problems.
Corrosion can have a huge impact on how your guns operate and how long they will last. Corrosion of firearms can lead to issues with firing accuracy and consistency. Plus, for collectors of antique guns, corrosion will whittle away at the value of these items over time.
This is why you need to consider adding a dehumidifier to your gun safe. With this in mind, make sure to have a look at the list of the best gun-safe dehumidifier reviews below.
Our Picks Of The Best Dehumidifier for Gun Safe Use
In the table we outline:
- Our selection of the best dehumidifiers for gun safe options on the market
- Images, including make and model
- Most important features and specifications
- Price – average price range you will see on Amazon –
- $ = under $20
- $$ = $20-$30
- $$$ = more than $30
- Customer ratings – the average customer rating you will see on Amazon. This can be handy in making your decision.
But to begin with, a bit about…
The Different Types of Gun Safe Dehumidifiers
There are two very different varieties of dehumidifiers that are effective in regulating the humidity in a gun safe. They are the:
- Electric dehumidifier, and
- Desiccant dehumidifier.
With an electric dehumidifier for use in a gun safe, you plug it into a power outlet. The disadvantage to using an electric dehumidifier is that it requires a hole drilled through the steel wall of your gun safe. The hole allows the electrical wires to run from the wall power outlet to the dehumidifier sitting inside the safe.
The electric dehumidifier also requires a power connection at all times to work.
Electric dehumidifiers are the most popular choice for gun owners for one specific reason… they are excellent at drawing moisture out from every corner of a steel-walled safe.
A desiccant dehumidifier for use in a gun safe uses a form of drying agent to draw moisture from the air. In other words, it works like a sponge to draw up all the water into the drying compound.
There are a few advantages to using this kind of dehumidifier. The most obvious benefit is that it does not need electricity to operate. This means no drilling of holes into the safe and no wires running from it.
This also means the gun safe can sit anywhere in your home without you having to locate it near a power outlet.
Another great feature of desiccant dehumidifiers is that you can renew or reuse them. Depending on the specific model of the dehumidifier, the drying compound can last up to several months.
The renewing or recharging of the compound used in a silica gel-style dehumidifier is easy. As these beads draw moisture from the air, you need to dry them out to keep working. Baking them in an oven dries them which ‘recharges’ them for further use.
Our Top Picks for the Best Gun Safe Dehumidifiers
When it comes to gun safes, dehumidifiers are a great addition. Not only do they keep your guns safe from rust, but they also inhibit the growth of mold and mildew. However, not all dehumidifiers are the same. There are a few things you should know before you buy a gun safe dehumidifier.
For your convenience, we have put together some information on the best options if you are looking to buy a dehumidifier for your gun safe. We’ll explain some of the most popular brands, as well as a few of their pros and cons.
Depending on the size of your safe or your collection, there are quite a few different options. So you should be able to find something to suit your circumstances.
Here are our picks of the best dehumidifier options:
The best dehumidifier on our list for gun-safe protection is this amazing-looking product.
As the name suggests, this electric dehumidifier for gun safe use is a ‘golden rod’ designed for use in small, tight quarters, such as a gun safe. Its design takes up little space and provides superior coverage of spaces measuring up to 100 cubic feet.
Made in the United States, the manufacturer claims this product is a permanent maintenance-free solution.
The benefits include a hassle-free, lifetime warranty, and easy installation. The cord and plug are detachable making it quick and fast with no tools required. Once plugged in, the Golden Rod gets warm and stays warm as it draws away moisture inside the safe.
Other users of this dehumidifier suggest combining this product with a desiccant one for full coverage. This, of course, depends on the size of your gun safe.
Either way, this dehumidifier did not get to the top of our list by accident. It is far superior to any other product we have seen and we highly recommend it.
This is our top pick in all our gun-safe dehumidifier reviews.
Click the Amazon button below for more information on the GoldenRod Original Dehumidifier, and make sure to check out the short video below…
PEET Dehumidifier Rod
This dehumidifier creates warmth from thermal convection, using dry air to gently remove humidity.
PEET dryers have a long history dating back to 1968 when they entered the marketplace with a footwear drying appliance. From that beginning, the company expanded to include a variety of drying solutions.
This particular dehumidifier uses a standard 110-120 volt power outlet. The electrical cord comes apart to allow for easy installation.
Feedback provided in gun vault dehumidifier reviews of this product is generally positive. The removable plug and cord earn top marks in making the job of installing a dehumidifier inside the safe easy. However, the results vary for some other users… a few state that the PEET Dryer does very well, while others claim better results with a silica gel dehumidifier.
Depending on the size of your gun safe and the number of weapons in storage, you can choose between 18″ & 24″ versions of this product (recommended for 120 / 200 cubic feet coverage).
Click the Amazon button below for more information on the PEET Dehumidifier Rod for Gun Storage.
SnapSafe Safe Silica Gel Dehumidifier
This silica gel dehumidifier provides protection for areas measuring up to 57 cubic feet. It is small (9 inches by 8 inches by 6 inches) but it works as well as the larger ones.
The non-toxic drying substance has an indicator cap that turns pink when it is full. The recharging is easy with a bake in the oven and the manufacturer says this product will last a lifetime.
This dehumidifier for gun safe use is a canister-style unit that contains 750 grams of silica gel in a perforated round steel container. It works well and is rated highly by most that have purchased it.
One drawback is that the product description does not provide much information. However, it is an efficient dehumidifier used for gun-safe protection.
The key here is to track what is happening to the silica gel in this dehumidifier. There are indicators to make it easy to identify when it needs recharging. Recharging this or any silica gel-style dehumidifier extends the life of the product and is easy to do when needed.
Click the Amazon button below for more information on the Cannon Safe SGD57 Dehumidifier.
Eva-Dry E-333 Renewable Mini-Dehumidifier
The model number of this silica gel desiccant dehumidifier for gun safes lets you know a little about this product. The manufacturer says it can eliminate excess moisture in the air of an area of up to 333 cubic feet. They also say it will last up to ten years and back that claim up with a five-year warranty.
This rechargeable desiccant dehumidifier features an indicator window that changes from blue to pink when it has achieved capacity.
It is not only recommended for use as a gun cabinet or safe dehumidifier… it is a perfect fit for closets, boats, RVs, bathrooms, and anywhere else excess moisture can be an issue.
Other gun owners say it works well. Providing you recharge it when needed, you will have long use of this particular model.
Click the Amazon button below for more information on the Eva-Dry E-333 Dehumidifier, and to see it in action, make sure to watch the video below…
Steelwater Gun Safe With Dehumidifying Box
Other than that, this gun safe is fire-rated for 60 minutes, is made from 12 gauge solid steel, has interior LED lighting, and has 4 x 1/2-inch pre-drilled anchor holes as well as a 1/4-inch steel plate floor for added security when bolting it to the floor.
Do You Need To Use a Gun-Safe Dehumidifier?
Gun safes are often installed in cool, dark places that don’t get much air circulation or light. These environments are often more damper than others. Having a high moisture content in the air, as well as in your gun safe, can have a damaging effect on your gun, ammunition, and anything else of value.
Any moisture sealed within the safe will condense on the items within it when the temperature cools. Besides preventing mold and mildew from growing on all surfaces within the safe, gun-safe dehumidifiers also prevent rust and corrosion from forming as a result of the condensation build-up on your precious metal items.
Gun safe dehumidifiers are designed to extract moisture from the air within the gun safe and/or circulate warm dry air 24/7, drying the air and protecting everything within the safe from the damaging effects of moisture build-up.
Unless you choose to purchase a gun safe with a dehumidifier built into it, you should install a dehumidifier in your gun safe. Gun safes with built-in dehumidifiers are not common, so most people opt to install a dehumidifier into their gun safe using one of the options reviewed above.
Gun Safe Dehumidifier Frequently Asked Questions
How Do You Choose the Right Dehumidifier for Your Gun Safe?
Making the ideal choice for your gun safe might be difficult; however, taking the following aspects into account can assist you:
– Size: The dehumidifier you pick should fit your gun safe properly. It needs to have the capacity to handle the safe’s air volume and effectively remove moisture. To make sure the dehumidifier is appropriate for the size of your safe, check its specs.
– Type: Dehumidifiers for gun safes come in a variety of forms, including electric, desiccant, and rechargeable models. The most common and efficient dehumidifiers are electric ones, but they need a power supply. If you don’t have access to electricity, desiccant dehumidifiers are a suitable alternative. Portable and adaptable rechargeable dehumidifiers are available.
– Humidity control: Some dehumidifiers have built-in hygrometers that gauge the amount of humidity within the safe. You can use this tool to keep an eye on the humidity levels and modify the dehumidifier settings as necessary.
– Ease of use: Choose a dehumidifier that is simple to install and maintain for ease of usage. While some require little to no care, certain dehumidifiers need periodic refilling or recharging.
– Price: There are various price ranges for dehumidifiers for gun safes. Choose a dehumidifier that offers the best value for your money while keeping your budget in mind.
– Brand and reviews: Consider buying a dehumidifier from a reputable brand, and make sure to read online reviews before making your decision. This can help you identify potential problems or issues with a particular dehumidifier before you buy it.
Where Do You Put A Dehumidifier In A Gun Safe?
There are two main locations inside a gun safe where a dehumidifier works best. Either on a shelf inside the safe or on the safe floor. Either location can work ok, however many people prefer to install their gun-safe dehumidifier on the floor due to the warm air from the dehumidifier rising to protect everything in the gun safe better.
Where Is The Best Place To Install A Gun Safe?
There is no ideal place to put a gun safe, however, there are factors that will help determine the best location. For example, you may wish to consider the possibility of water damage, a fire, or the potential for burglary (see below).
Is It Ok To Keep A Gun Safe In The Garage?
A garage is a bad location for a gun safe. This is for a few reasons. Many of the tools stored in a garage contain fuel and chemicals that are flammable. Should a fire occur, you risk losing your guns as a result. Also, garages are often separated from the rest of the house (if not a separate building, then behind a closed door). They are also sometimes easier to gain entry to and contain a lot of expensive equipment that can quite easily be sold for cash. For these reasons, thieves often target garages, which means that storing your gun and ammunition in a gun-safe dehumidifier in the garage may not be the best option.
How Do You Install a Gun Safe Dehumidifier?
Installing a gun safe dehumidifier depends on the type of dehumidifier you have. Here are the general steps to follow for the two most common types:
– Choose a location: Select a suitable location for the dehumidifier inside the gun safe, preferably near the bottom where the humidity tends to be higher.
– Find a power source: If the dehumidifier requires an electrical outlet, make sure to position it near an outlet or use an extension cord.
– Mount the dehumidifier: Many electric dehumidifiers come with mounting brackets or adhesive strips. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to mount the dehumidifier securely to the interior of the gun safe.
– Plug it in: Plug the dehumidifier into the electrical outlet and turn it on. Adjust the settings to your desired humidity level.
– Choose a location: Select a suitable location for the dehumidifier inside the gun safe, preferably near the bottom where the humidity tends to be higher.
– Remove the packaging: Remove the outer packaging and any plastic wrapping from the desiccant dehumidifier.
– Activate the desiccant: Depending on the manufacturer’s instructions, you may need to expose the desiccant to air or heat to activate it before use.
– Place the dehumidifier inside the safe: Put the desiccant dehumidifier inside the gun safe, making sure it’s not touching any of the firearms.
– Check the desiccant periodically: Occasionally check the desiccant to see if it needs to be recharged or replaced.
Note: Always refer to the manufacturer’s instructions when installing a gun safe dehumidifier to ensure proper installation and use.
What Humidity Is Bad For Guns?
The best humidity level for gun storage should be between 30% and 50% at a room temperature of about 70°F / 20°C. The NRA (National Rifle Association) states that should the air become dryer than 20% relative humidity (RH), gun stocks may be negatively impacted. Above 50% RH corrosion can form which can also damage guns and ammunition.
When Should You Use a Gun-Safe Dehumidifier?
A gun-safe dehumidifier is responsible for removing the humidity from the environment in which your weapon is kept. Without the gun-safe dehumidifier, your weapon is likely to rust and corrode. Furthermore, a gun-safe dehumidifier is designed to extend the life of your weapon.
Therefore, if you keep your gun in a gun safe, we always recommend that you use a gun safe dehumidifier of some kind.
How Do You Maintain a Gun Safe Dehumidifier?
The type of dehumidifier you have will determine how to maintain a gun safe dehumidifier. Following are some general dehumidifier maintenance recommendations:
– Clean the dehumidifier regularly: Regularly clean the dehumidifier by wiping it down with a dry cloth to get rid of any dust or debris that may have accumulated on the surface. Before cleaning, be sure to unplug the dehumidifier.
– Check the water container: If your dehumidifier has a water container, make sure to regularly check it and empty it as necessary. The dehumidifier and the items in the gun safe could be harmed if the container is not empty because it could overflow.
– Replace or recharge the desiccant: If you’re using a desiccant dehumidifier, make sure to replace or recharge the desiccant as necessary. When it’s time to recharge or replace the desiccant, some desiccant dehumidifiers have an indicator that changes color.
– Check the hygrometer: Check the hygrometer to make sure the humidity levels inside the gun safe are within the desired range if your dehumidifier has a built-in hygrometer. If the humidity is too high, change the dehumidifier’s settings or think about installing more dehumidifiers.
– Follow the manufacturer’s instructions: When caring for your gun safe dehumidifier, always follow the manufacturer’s instructions. It’s possible that the manufacturer will make specific suggestions for part maintenance, cleaning, and replacement.
Other Tips for Keeping Your Guns Safe and Dry
In addition to using a dehumidifier, here are some other tips for keeping your guns safe and dry:
– Use a well-sealed gun safe: A well-sealed gun safe can help prevent moisture from entering the safe. Periodically inspect the seal to make sure it’s still in good shape and replace it if necessary.
– Store your guns properly: To prevent rust and moisture damage, store your firearms properly by coating or lubricating them. To keep them safe from dust and humidity, keep them in their cases or cover them with gun socks.
– Monitor temperature and humidity levels: Continually check the temperature and humidity levels inside the gun safe using a thermometer and hygrometer. To avoid moisture buildup, keep the temperature between 60 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit and the humidity between 30 and 50%.
– Avoid storing guns in damp areas: Gun storage should not take place in wet areas, such as garages or basements. High humidity levels in these areas have the potential to lead to moisture buildup.
– Ensure that the gun safe has some ventilation by occasionally opening the door to let in some fresh air. By doing so, you can lower the humidity and avoid moisture buildup.
What are the most important things to consider before buying a dehumidifier for a gun safe?
There are a few important things to consider when looking to buy a gun safe dehumidifier. These include:
– You should check how the dehumidifier removes moisture. Desiccant dehumidifiers work by adsorbing water vapor from the air and can be very effective in small spaces like gun safes. On the other hand, electric dehumidifiers specially made for gun-safe use also work well. However, since they need a constant power source, they may require a hole to be drilled into the safe. The other type of dehumidifier commonly used in households is the refrigerant-style dehumidifier. These dehumidifiers move air across cold coils and condense moisture in the air and collect it in a bucket or drain via a hose. This style is typically bigger in size and is not normally used in gun safes.
– Another thing to consider is how big your gun safe is and how much moisture the dehumidification system needs to remove. If you have a big safe, then buying a small dehumidifier may not do the job you need it to.
What are other gun-safe accessories that are important?
There are certain accessories that are essential to anyone that owns a gun safe. The most important accessory, we believe, is a gun-safe dehumidifier. However, there are some other accessories that you may want to consider:
– A gun safe light inside of a safe is very important, as it allows you to see inside of the safe at night or in low light conditions. These lights are mounted on the inside of the door and shine on the floor inside the safe, so you can see the contents easily. Some models also have an adjustable angle so you can aim it wherever you need to in your safe.
– A gun safe key lock box is a valuable addition to any gun safe because it allows you to keep your keys in a place where they are always available but still secured. In addition, a key lock box allows you to keep your keys from children, a spouse, or anyone else who may have access to your gun safe. Some safes may use a combination lock, while others will use a digital keypad. For those looking for added security, biometric locks with fingerprint recognition are available.
– A gun-safe fan will circulate the air in your small gun safe. This is very important because the air in your safe will become stale and if you are a long-time gun owner, then you know that stale air smells bad. If your gun safe smells bad then you might not want to store your gun in your safe.
Is A Gun Safe Dehumidifier A Good Investment?
Yes, it is. By being able to measure and monitor the humidity level where your guns are stored, you will be able to prevent them from getting damaged. Too much humidity can cause corrosion and gun stocks can become damaged when the humidity is too low. Therefore, regulating the humidity in your gun safe is vital.
How do I choose the right size dehumidifier for my gun safe?
You should take into account the following factors when selecting the appropriate dehumidifier size for your gun safe:
– Size of the safe: Choose a dehumidifier that can successfully remove moisture from the safe’s entire interior. Choose a dehumidifier that can fit the safe’s dimensions after taking those into consideration.
– Humidity: Take into account your area’s typical humidity levels as well as the safe’s climate control. If your safe is exposed to high levels of humidity or is situated in a damp area, you might require a larger dehumidifier.
– Volume of firearms: Take into account the quantity of weapons and other items kept in the safe. A more powerful dehumidifier will be needed for a bigger safe with more items stored inside.
– Use frequency: Take into account how frequently you intend to open and close your safe. If you frequently open the safe and let outside air in, a dehumidifier won’t work as well.
– Power source: Take into account whether there is a power source close to the safe when deciding between an electric and a renewable dehumidifier.
If you’re unsure of which dehumidifier size will suit your needs the best, you can seek advice from a professional or the manufacturer.
Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a dehumidifier in a gun safe?
When using a dehumidifier in a gun safe, keep the following safety precautions in mind:
– Electrical Safety: Verify that the dehumidifier you select is secure enough to be used in a restricted area, such as a gun safe. For specific safety advice and instructions, consult the manufacturer’s instructions.
– Fire safety: Pay attention to where the dehumidifier is placed in the safe and make sure it is not close to anything flammable. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for safe operation as well.
– Ventilation: In order to prevent overheating caused by some dehumidifiers, it’s crucial to make sure the safe has enough ventilation. Additionally, this might increase the dehumidifier’s effectiveness.
– Maintenance: To ensure the dehumidifier continues to operate correctly and safely, regularly clean and maintain it in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
You can help ensure that your dehumidifier operates safely and efficiently in your gun safe by taking these safety precautions.
How do I know if my gun safe is in need of a dehumidifier?
There are a few signs that indicate your gun safe may be in need of a dehumidifier:
– Musty Odor: If you notice a musty odor coming from your gun safe, it may be a sign that there is excess moisture inside.
– Condensation: If you see condensation on the interior of your gun safe, this is a clear indication that the humidity levels inside are too high.
– Rust or Corrosion: If you notice any rust or corrosion on your firearms or other metal items stored in the safe, this is another sign that the humidity levels inside are too high.
– Warping or Swelling: If you notice any warping or swelling of wooden components or materials inside the safe, this may be due to excess moisture.
If you experience any of these symptoms, it’s important to address the issue promptly by installing a dehumidifier in your gun safe. This will help protect your firearms and other valuable items from damage caused by excess moisture.
Conclusion: Final Thoughts on Dehumidifiers for Gun Safe Use
Protecting your investment comes in many different forms. It can include insurance, alarms, and dehumidifiers. Implementing gun-safe moisture control systems will keep your firearms safe from their most dangerous foe, corrosion.
Rust can destroy the look, feel, and value of your gun. This is why it is important to not only keep your gun maintained, but to put in place gun-safe humidity control. This is the best way to keep corrosion at bay.
As we have outlined above, there are many dehumidifier options for gun-safe protection. So depending on the size and location of your gun safe, you should be able to find a solution to protect your gun collection.
Leave a Comment